Tuesday, September 13, 2011

You don't hit thumbody elth.

Just quickly,  I am STILL Mrs. Teacher Person.  So I told him I'll just call him Mr. Student Boy.  Obviously he didn't get it.

Today we were discussing, for the 6th day in a row (this IS Kindergarten), the Rules.  I tell my kids that there's one rule: Be Kind.  Then we talk about the different things that you can do that are kind, along with things that you do that are not kind. Kind things would include the obvious ones like sharing, keeping hands to yourself, using nice words and manners.... but I also include things that are kind to grownups like not interrupting, doing what a grownup asks you to do right away, using your nose and bellybutton to listen (face and body facing me).  So today we were discussing things that are not kind after a few boys decided that they'd hit each other (and hit back, and hit someone because he hit your friend, etc.... it was very Three Stooges).  I have a little guy who has barely spoken a word since he came in.  When he needs to go to the bathroom, he points and raises his eyebrows questioningly (we're working on that).

So this tiny hand is in the air for the first time, and clearly I must acknowledge it. (again, name changed for privacy)

Me: So boys and girls, Big Kindergarteners never, never hit or kick on purpose, right?  Yes Antonio?

Antonio: You don't hit thumbody elth.

Me: (stifling a giggle) That's right, Antonio.  And why not?

Antonio: They might fart on you.



I just left that one alone.

1 comment:

  1. I had a student from Brazil who was very angry at me one evening (I have no idea what I did to offend her sensibilities!). When I was doing my nightly tuck-in routine she aggressively turned her back to me and said just over a whisper, "I fart on you."

    ReplyDelete