Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Failure due to Red Tape

As a kindergarten teacher of many students who come to school with little to no preschool background, I am often the first person to identify what often becomes a special education need for a child in my class.  Since I spend 6 hours a day with a child, I have a lot of insight into whether or not a child who came without any experience with the material in the curriculum (lettters and numbers) is progressing at a normal pace or not.  However, today I encountered my third experience in just two years with a child that every teacher can see has an issue that needs specialized instruction and support but whom the formal diagnostic process fails miserably.

   Last year I had a young man who was obviously suffering from some emotional developmental delays.  He was just vacant most of the time, and compared to his peers he made little if any progress towards mastering any concepts in the kindergarten curriculum.  He would sit on the carpet during story time and rock back and forth with a shoelace in his mouth.  Honestly, he seemed drugged.  After "showing my ass" so to speak in a meeting with the diagnostic team, they agreed to evaluate him for possible learning or emotional disabilites, but in the end despite the fact that this child was OBVIOUSLY in need of intervention in as many ways as possible, he was deemed "ineligible" because he hadn't been in school long enough for us to really KNOW that he wasn't learning.  He has since been to about 4 other schools, had a full psychotic sort of break, kicking, biting, basically gone off the deep end.... and I KNEW he had an issue, but what I know didn't matter- all that mattered was that he hadn't had "adequate exposure" to curriculum.

  Another guy who is a redshirted kindergartener was in a similar situation.  His teacher last year, a 20 year veteran of kindergarten, could tell in SEPTEMBER that he would need to be retained because not only did he come with no prior knowledge or developed skills needed for kindergarten, he was unable to develop and retain the knowledge and skills that he was being taught at a rate that was acceptable to the rigors of the kindergarten curriculum.  So, again, the diagnostic team failed this young man because despite the fact that he obviously needed specialized support and could have gotten it, they dismissed the veteran teacher's concerns with the "adequate exposure" clause all over again.  So now his parents have demanded an evaluation, and frankly I won't be terribly surprised with a pronouncement of ineligible because instead of comparing him with a student his own AGE, they insist on comparing him with a grade level peer, or a first month kindergartener.  So this child will likely not get served with intervention that I cannot do by myself for him until 3rd grade or later when the problems become so pronounced that he is several grade levels behind in reading and math.

  And now I have another one.  Every time I pick my class up from Art, Music, Library, Computers, or PE the teacher asks me what is wrong with her.  She doesn't seem to understand anything about what she's supposed to do.  She copies others, and when she can't do that she is completely lost and oblivious.  After 5 weeks of DAILY one-on-one interventions she still doesn't recognize her own name, nor can she name any individual letter in her name.  This despite the combination of the interventions she's already had PLUS the fact that the entire first hour of my school day revolves around letters and letter sounds.  One member of the team observed her for about 10 minutes today and pronounced her "without concern."   I wanted to scream!  This child is in desperate need of more help than I can give her.  I have 22 students in my class and she has already monopolized every resource I have available to help any child who struggles.  Her attention issues are so profound that she cannot work in a group with other children receiving help because she distracts them so badly.  She is usually unable to string more than 3 words together to form a sentence.  Like a toddler, her first instinct is to hit or spit at others when she feels threatened (including phantom threats like someone is sitting where she wants to sit on the carpet).

   This whole situation frustrates me to no end.  It's as if because I got a degree in Education rather than Psychology, my own knowledge, observation and plain gut instinct are immaterial in these cases.  You're telling me that 10 minutes of observation by someone with a psychology degree trumps 6 hours a day of agony in dealing with this child who I simply cannot help on my own. And so then I am stuck between a rock and a hard place: I am obligated to invest all the time and resources at my disposal to help her, but if I KNOW there is something wrong and that the time and energy expended will be wasted on her, then I'm denying another child who COULD made adequate progress with just a little intervention the chance to get that help.  Why should one child be able to monopolize everything I have to give when I KNOW that there's something wrong that falls outside the realm of what I'm able to handle on my own?

   It's a catch-22..... I'm supposed to be "highly qualified," highly educated, a professional educator, yet I'm not deemed qualified to identify when a child's needs are beyond my help.  Wouldn't I know better than anyone what's beyond my help?

  

5 comments:

  1. It is a horrible situation, indeed. What is to be gained by ignoring the obvious? Are they making sure that they don't exceed a certain number of diagnoses per school year? Rocking and disassociating from peers is a classic "red flag" and shouldn't be dismissed.

    FWIW-It doesn't get any better when you are the parent of a "special needs" child. My mother used to be a shy country girl, a la Lorretta Lynn; she wouldn't say boo to a goose.

    Years of interaction with the medical community on behalf my brother has knocked the reticence right out of her. She has had doctors and social workers tell her what my brother is feeling, thinking, wanting and they have totally dismissed her years of observation. I can count on both hands the number of nights she has spent away from him (most of them because he was in NICU)and he is 50 years old. I'm certainly not downplaying the professional's training and knowledge, but she has 50 YEARS of experience with this person.

    Anyway, I understand your frustration. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is the struggle so many parents face when bringing concerns to physicians. The one who spends the most time with the child should be taken seriously, but often is not.

    I hear you about children falling between the cracks. My hat is off to you public school teachers..your jobs have to be frustrating at times like those. And I'm just so heart-broken for those children...their home life lives must be terrible to not have any background in academics. Someone told me once that she had Kindergartners who didn't know a book was being held upside down..something my one year old knows.

    Too often, the kiddos who need the most support get the rushed govt-funded appointments with parents who shrug their shoulders and say 'we've never noticed that' when asked the doctor's questions. So the checklist gets misinformation, the child gets pushed through the system, develops a low self-esteem and becomes a prime candidate for crime or poverty or both. While I understand the checks and balances regarding teachers not giving out diagnoses, your imputs would be very I sightdul if only taken more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mandi. I would have spent more than ten minutes in your classroom if I were still there! In fact, I'd be spending every spare moment I had in your classroom - just for giggles! :)

    Seriously - I'm frustrated with you. I've been on the other side of that table and been just as mad at the beauracracy of the process. (I clearly do not know how to spell and am too lazy to fix it, right now.)

    Document and document and maybe you'll get someone to listen to you, and soon. If for just a second I can be the devil's advocate, I'll tell you that there is concern about diagnosing too many kids at a very early age. Sometimes, once you get into SPED, it's very hard to get out, even once the services are no longer warranted.

    Also - why weren't these difficulties noted earlier in this child's life? I'm not saying that s/he shouldn't get help NOW, but I'm wondering how it is that they fell through the cracks for so very long.

    And you're totally okay to go up the food chain and ask someone else to come in and observe. You could even call the dir. of psych services if you wanted . . . The new guy is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blythe, her mother and 17 year old looking stepfather have Faces of Meth, so I think they're too concerned with getting high to notice that their daughter isn't "right." A conference with them revealed that they think she's very smart because... wait for it.... she can count to 5. Well, except, no she can't and my dog can count to 5. You probably did the eval on her older sister who's in 3rd grade now.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blythe, your replacement told me today that from a professional standpoint she can't come observe the child again without a formal referral to do so. She fights us tooth and nail every time we bring a child to child study... and you know that MES teachers don't send a kid just because they're a low achiever- we send the ones that are not benefitting from the interventions we already do. We're good about that. I hear the point about not IDing too many too young, but in the vast majority of the cases that especially K/1 suspect, we take the "watch and wait" approach anyway because their development is so stop and go at these ages. But this girl clearly has a serious cognitive problem. And it drives me up a wall that her 10 minutes of observing her in PE is considered more valid that my concerns after spending 5 weeks with her. She got an 8 on her fall PALs test. Yes. An 8. And that's after a month of intensive 1-on-1 on just letter ID/Rhyme. But nothing's wrong? I'm just a bad teacher who hasn't taught her enough? Because that's the message I'm hearing while I try to advocate for these kids, and that seriously sucks.

    ReplyDelete